TeamMates works with donors, colleges, and universities to provide scholarships for mentees. TeamMates mentees have access to TeamMates Central Office Scholarships and our post-secondary institution scholarships. Below you can find our 2016-17 TeamMates Central Office Scholarship application, a list of our TeamMates-Exclusive Central Office Scholarships and other available scholarships.
For more information on financial aid and how to apply for scholarships, visit the TeamMates+ Scholarships and Financial Aid page.
- Teammates Central Office Scholarship Application
- TeamMates Donor Scholarships
- TeamMates Partnership Scholarships
- Teammates Central Office Scholarship Full descriptions
- Other TeamMates Partnership Scholarships
Teammates Central Office Scholarship Application
The 2016-17 TeamMates Central Office Scholarship Application is now CLOSED. The Scholarship Application for the 2017-18 TeamMates Seniors will OPEN on Monday, October 2nd 2017. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact DeMoine Adams at email@example.com.
TeamMates Donor Scholarships
|Scholarship||Award amount||Number of scholarships awarded|
|Osborne Opportunity Fund Scholarship||$1,500||TBD|
|Gary Scharf Scholarship||$1,000||2|
|Gigi Inness Scholarship||$1,500||1|
|Tom Miller Scholarship||$1,500||1|
|Gayle Norris Scholarship||$1,000||1|
|Suzanne Hince Scholarship||$1,000||1|
|Annette Woodhead Scholarship||$1,000||1|
|Nicholas and Amber Herrington Scholarship||$1,000||1|
|Amira Johnson Scholarship||$1,000||1|
|TeamMates New Generation Scholarship||$1,000||Minimum of 3|
|John and Michele Northrop Scholarship||$1,000||3|
|Linkedin TeamMates Scholarship||$1,000||Minimum of 2|
|Alex & Kathy McPherson Scholarship||$1,500||1|
TeamMates Partnership Scholarships
|Scholarship||Award amount||Number of scholarships awarded|
|The University of Nebraska System TM Scholarship (UNL, UNO, UNK)||$2,000 over the course of four years||Total of 15 to attend one of the University of Nebraska System schools (5 per school)|
|The DREAM Scholarship for TeamMates (Bellevue University)||90% - 95% of tuition and fees per academic year||Minimum of 4|
|Osborne Legacy Scholarship for TeamMates (Hastings College)||Full-tuition per academic year||1|
|Hastings College TeamMates Scholarship||Minimum of $15,000 toward tuition per academic year||Unlimited, non-competitive|
|Concordia University TeamMates Guarantee Scholarship||Minimum of $15,000 toward tuition per academic year||Unlimited, non-competitive|
|Doane College TeamMates Scholarship||Minimum of $13,000 toward tuition per academic year||Unlimited, non-competitive|
|Grace University TeamMates Scholarship||Minimum of $9,000 toward tuition per academic year||Unlimited, non-competitive|
|College of Saint Mary Merit TeamMates Scholarship||Minimum of $10,000 toward tuition per academic year||Unlimited, non-competitive|
|York College TeamMates Scholarship||Minimum of $6,000 toward tuition per academic year||Unlimited, non-competitive|
|TeamMates Program Award (Waiver Program) – Peru State, Wayne State, and Chadron State College||Half-tuition waived per academic calendar year||Total of 9 to attend one of the Nebraska State College System schools (3 to each school)|
|Creighton University Markoe TeamMates Scholarship||$30,000 toward tuition per academic year||1|
|Creighton University TeamMates Scholarship||Minimum of $10,000 toward tuition per academic year||1|
|Nebraska Wesleyan TeamMates Access Scholarship||$12,000 per academic year on top of a minimum of $10,000 toward tuition per academic year||limited to one student, competitive|
|Nebraska Wesleyan TeamMates Scholarship||$2,000 per academic year on top of a minimum of $10,000 toward tuition per academic year||Unlimited, non-competitive|
|University of Northern Iowa TeamMates Scholarship||$4,000||3|
|Fort Hays State University TeamMates Scholarship||Award amounts vary based on need and range from $4,000 to $14,000 per academic year||Unlimited, non-competitive|
|Northwest Missouri State University TeamMates Scholarship||Up to $6,000||1|
|Metro Community College TeamMates Scholarship||Full-tuition||6|
|Southeast Community College TeamMates Scholarship||$1,000||4|
|Northeast Community College TeamMates Scholarship||$2,000||TBD|
|Central Community College TeamMates Scholarship||$1,000||2|
|Western Nebraska Community College TeamMates Scholarship||$2,000||2|
|Iowa Western Community College TeamMates Scholarship||$4,000||4|
|Hawkeye Community College TeamMates Scholarship||$2,000||2|
|Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) TeamMates Scholarship||$2,000||2|
|Briar Cliff University (Sioux City, IA) TeamMates Scholarship||Minimum of $13,000 toward tuition per academic year||Unlimited, non-competitive|
|Mount Marty College (Yankton, SD) TeamMates Scholarship||Minimum of $13,000 toward tuition per academic year||Unlimited, non-competitive|
Teammates Central Office Scholarship-Full descriptions
Other TeamMates Partnership Scholarships
HORATIO ALGER SCHOLARSHIP
The Horatio Alger Scholarship is a scholarship opportunity made available through a partnership with TeamMates, the Knights of Ak-Sar-Ben Foundation and the Horatio Alger Association for TeamMates mentees in Nebraska and western Iowa who have overcome extreme financial obstacles and adversity. Fifty $6,000 scholarships are awarded each year and FIVE of these fifty scholarships will be awarded to TeamMates mentees.
The online application will be available beginning in August 2017; deadline October 2017 (TBD).
More details will be available beginning in August.
To be eligible to apply for the Horatio Alger Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- On the first question “How did you hear about us”, one of the options is “TeamMates”. Applicants MUST click that they heard about this scholarship through “TeamMates” in order to identify themselves as a “TeamMates” mentee.
- Be enrolled full-time as a high school senior in Nebraska or western Iowa, progressing normally toward graduation, and planning to enter college no later than the fall following graduation;
- Have a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited institution located in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution);
- Critical financial need ($55,000 or less adjusted gross income per family is preferred; if higher, an explanation must be provided);
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Involvement in co-curricular and community activities;
- Demonstrate academic achievement (minimum grade point average of 2.0);
- Be a resident of Nebraska -OR- Western Iowa in the counties of:
Adair Fremont Page Adams Greene Pottawattamie Audubon Guthrie Plymouth Buena Vista Harrison Ringold Calhoun Ida Sac Carroll Lyon Shelby Cass Mills Sioux Cherokee Monona Taylor Clay Montgomery Union Crawford O'Brien Woodbury Dickinson Osceola
- be a citizen of the United States
For more details about the Horatio Alger scholarship, please visit their website at https://scholars.horatioalger.org/scholarships/.
SUSAN BUFFETT SCHOLARSHIP
The Susan Buffett Scholarship is another great funding source to pay for a student’s post-secondary education. If a student receives the Buffett Scholarship, they will receive up to $4,800 a semester until they graduate! The application will close February 1st @ 5:00 PM CST/4:00 PM MST.
To be considered, students must:
- Be a resident of Nebraska
- Graduate from a Nebraska high school or earn a Nebraska GED
- Achieve at least a 2.5 cumulative unweighted GPA in high school
- 2.5 on a 4 point scale
- 80 on a 100 point scale
- Be a first-time freshman when entering college
- Students obtaining dual enrollment credits in high school are still eligible to apply
- Plan to attend any of the following Nebraska public institutions:
- Nebraska Community Colleges – Central, Metropolitan, Mid-Plains, Northeast, Southeast, or Western Nebraska;
- Nebraska State College System – Chadron State, Peru State, Wayne State; or
- University of Nebraska – NCTA, UNK, UNL, UNMC, or UNO
- Be in need of financial assistance in order to attend school
- PLEASE NOTE: Students do not need to be Pell Grant eligible to qualify. Students with an annual income of $80,000 or less are encouraged to apply.
- Students with an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) below $10,000 are encouraged to apply
Awards are determined on the following criteria:
- Financial need (annual income of $95,000 or less)
- Academic merit (2.5 GPA and above)
- Strength of personal essay
- Strength of recommendations
*The table below indicates the maximum term value of a Susan Thompson Buffett Foundation Scholarship at each public college in Nebraska for the 2017-2018 academic school year.
|FULL TIME (12+ HOURS)||3/4 TIME (9-11 HOURS)||1/2 TIME (6-8 HOURS)||1/4 TIME (3-5 HOURS)||LESS THAN 1/4 (1-2 HOURS)|
|MCC and SECC||$1,450||$1,087.50||$725||$362||$181.25|
|All other Community Colleges||$2,000||$1,500||$1,000||$537.50||$250|
|Nebraska State Colleges||$3,900||$2,925||$1,950||$975||$487.50|
|University of Nebraska||$4,350 - $4,800||$3,262 - $3,600||$2,175 - $2,400||$1,087.50 - $1,200||$543.75 - $600|
The scholarship funds can be applied to any part of their cost of attendance (COA). This includes: tuition, fees, books, and room and board. Any unused portion of this award does not accrue and may not be applied to subsequent terms. If a student receives the Susan Buffett Scholarship, they can also transfer from one of these schools to another school on this list as long as they communicate with the Susan Buffett Foundation office the semester/quarter prior to transferring. For example:
- Attend Metropolitan Community College for two years; transfer to the University of Nebraska-Omaha for three to four years.
- Attend Central Community College for two years; transfer to the University of Nebraska Medical Center for three to four years.
The application has five parts.
- The online application forms
- A personal essay (must be submitted electronically)
- A high school transcript (must be submitted electronically)
- A FAFSA Student Aid Report
- Two letters of recommendation
The Susan Buffett Scholarship committee wants to learn more about the factors in a student’s life that have led them to pursue a college education. Your persona essay should include:
- Why do you want to go to college?
- What are your goals and how will you reach them?
- Describe some of your strengths and weaknesses. How have you developed/learned from these?
- Describe your leadership skills & how you have demonstrated them in your life (community, school, job, etc.).
- How are you involved in giving back to others and/or your community?
- Tell us about an obstacle or challenge you have faced.
- Tell us about a time you worked hard to achieve something.
- Essay prompts are not addressed
- Student gives general essay responses, without sharing personal experiences/stories
- Incorrect documents uploaded (1 page of the SAR)
- Eligibility requirements not met (student does not have a 2.5 unweighted cumulative GPA)
- Students have all application materials complete, but do not officially “submit” after the consent to release
- Students ask recommenders who cannot answer the questions
- Procrastination (Students and Recommenders)
- Forgetting to check the “status” page
PLEASE NOTE – The Susan Buffett Scholarship Committee has a STRONG interest in giving TeamMates mentees this scholarship. Mentees MUST talk about their experience in TeamMates in their application and how their mentor has influenced them to reach their full potential. This needs to be at least 3-4 sentences.
For more details about the Susan Buffett scholarship and to apply, please visit their website at www.buffettscholarships.org. For additional details, please click the following links:
- 2016-17 Susan Buffett Foundation Scholarship FAQ Fact Sheet
- 2016-17 Susan Buffett Foundation Scholarship, Details & Instructions